Yours truly is in the middle row, 6th from left. The school is Waitara Central in the town of Waitara, Taranaki, New Zealand. Waitara Central celebrated its 125 Jubilee in the year 2000.
Five abiding memories from those times:
- Compulsory and free school milk that was delivered in half pint glass bottles and which we consumed at 'playtime' (morning break)
- My school leather satchel which was my pride and joy and carried a homemade sandwich lunch.
- Home knitted jerseys of various patterns and hues which my mother created; she was a good seamstress, knitter and creator of various home crafts.
- The crackle of winter frosts and iced-over puddles underfoot as we walked to school.
- A robust and vigorous childhood full of outdoor games and adventures.